We made it to the final week of the One Room Challenge, and amazingly we succeeded in getting the deck redone! There were a lot of changes that had to be made from the original plan, but in the end it turned out better than I initially imagined. Now, not everything was able to be competed. We weren’t able to get to the staining, stairs, or skirting, but those things can come later on in the next few months. Now that I’ve gotten a taste for this challenge the wheels are already turning as to what space I will makeover next! This challenge has been a wonderful way to keep me accountable-and see what everyone else is up to in and around their dwellings.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, at no extra cost to you, should you click on them to make a purchase.
A Quick Recap
The original plan was to flip the existing boards and then strip, sand, and paint the posts and railings. The underside of the boards looked pretty decent despite the top being in terrible condition. However, as we started bringing up the old boards we had one after another split, causing the need to pivot to plan B and all new boards.
You can take a moment to laugh hysterically as I did at the realization that the skyrocketing price of lumber would make replacing the deck equal to new stone counter tops. Fortunately we didn’t have to tear it all down, we were able to save the framework which consisted of the support posts, joists, rim joists and ledger board. That saved us from spending an enormous amount.
Where We Last Left Off
Last week we finished up on installing the deck posts and railings, leaving us to install all the balusters and add our finishing touches.
The Home Stretch
This was by far the easiest and quickest part of the entire project. We worked from the center of each railing out and used a 2×4 for spacing. After making sure each baluster was level we screwed it in. Easy peasy.
The Finishing Touches
Now that the hard work was over it was time to get busy bringing the rest of the vision together. I had found this outdoor sectional on Marketplace last year, and the back pillows I snagged on clearance at Kohls at the end of last summer.
I was able to find outdoor foam seat cushions from JoAnn’s for half off, and these cushion covers from Amazon. The color of the covers is nearly identical to that of the back pillows, I had been a bit worried I wasn’t going to be able to match them as well.
Back in week 4 I lucked out by finding this amazing fire table at Home Depot. I’ve had my heart set on getting one for the last few years but they can be pricey. This one was very affordable and was so simple to put together. It came with lava rocks, but I wanted to buy some turquoise reflective fire glass for it instead. After seeing how gorgeous it is at night I would highly recommend this for any propane fire pits. It’s stunning.
After the main pieces were in place it was just adding odds and ends to the space-solar caps for the posts, some decorative lanterns and candles, and this beautiful hummingbird feeder. We regularly have hummingbirds visit and they are such a thrill to watch.
I am so thrilled with how everything turned out despite all of the tweaks we had to make. Given that this was the first big project the hubs and I pulled off together I’d say we did a pretty decent job. I’m going to love sitting out here in the mornings with my coffee, and enjoying the fire in the evenings. Thanks so much for taking the time to visit, and be sure to head over to the One Room Challenge to see all of the other amazing reveals!