It’s week 4 of the One Room Challenge and this week my plan was to start stripping and sanding the old deck railings to reuse, but as usual we ran into a few problems. Initially, as we started taking the railings off we noticed a lot of damage that was going to require us to cut a few inches off of each end, creating the need to space our deck railing support posts 4′ apart rather than just under the 6′ that they currently were. Because this was also going to make us short by a few feet here and there we were going to need to buy two additional railings. This was going to cost us more in hardware and posts, but all in all would be less expensive than having to purchase all new railings. As we got to work bringing the last of the railings down one split and proceeded to fall completely apart.
It was right around this time that we made the executive decision to not move forward with attempting to reuse the railings. Off we went to buy more lumber and screws for we were going to build them ourselves. This project was starting to become more exciting, costly, and labor intensive than I had originally imagined!
Now just to build all of them! It sounds much more dramatic than it probably is-we only have 4 6′ sections and 1 8′ so I’m sure it’s nothing that a weekend or two can’t manage. But first, we need to get all of the posts installed. However, we’re expecting showers on and off all holiday weekend so it’s anyone’s guess as to how much we will actually accomplish. Plus-and I’m so excited about this!-I’m heading to the Brimfield Antique Show on Saturday and it’s consuming my every waking thought! I’ve always wanted to go and it’s actually being held at the Deerfield Fairgrounds close by so there was no chance I was going to miss it!
Lastly, I did manage to find an amazing fire table for far less than I had thought I would. Thank God for small victories! Up until this point every one I had seen was in the $500+ range. This one is by Hampton Bay and has plenty of space for a pitcher of margaritas and a charcuterie board of some kind. And it was under $220! It’s going to be perfect for the deck-and if we can’t get the posts installed this weekend then I guess we can always work on getting this assembled in the garage. As always, thank you for spending a little time here and don’t forget to check out all of the other projects in progress over at the one room challenge blog!