It’s week 2 of the One Room Challenge and we’ve got most of the deck demo done despite hitting a few roadblocks. Unfortunately our plan from week 1 to flip the deck boards was a colossal flop with more than half of the boards splitting regardless of how gently we tried to remove them.
Frustration and disappoint ensued as well as the realization that we would have to bite the bullet and invest in new decking. In order to stay somewhat within our original budget we were going to have to come up with a Plan B and pivot. We decided to scrap building the simple pergola I had planned for attaching the sunshade and string lights to, offsetting some of the cost all of that lumber was going to be. Now I’m left to figure out a way to hold those. I don’t really want to mount any hardware to the side of the house, and I’m not crazy about anything freestanding that will take up any additional room on our modest sized deck floor. At least I have a little time to make a decision there.
Fortunately we were able to salvage the railings, but not without their own problems. They had previously been nailed haphazardly in from all angles into the posts. There were some gaps that occurred due to the natural shrinking of the wood that allowed for damage on all the ends thanks to moisture and insects that had nested in the gaps where the rails met the posts.
After pulling out as many nails as I could I realized that the only decent way to try and salvage the railings will be to cut some length of the ends creating a fresh edge. Because they are going to be shorter we will have to space our new 4×4 posts every 4′ instead of 6′. More posts, more money, but still far less than we would have to spend on all new railings.
That wraps up our progress for this week. Next week I plan to get to work stripping and sanding the old railings while the hubs begins installing the new boards. In case you missed it you can read last week’s post where we share our vision for this space. As always, thanks for stopping by and be sure to check out the other participants on the One Room Challenge Blog page!